After creating a custom map, when releasing the map to the public, there is a general format in the way that it should be packaged.
For proper packaging, create a folder named "packages". In this you should create whatever subfolders are required - for example, if you are using a custom mapmodel you would create the subfolder "models" and in that a subfolder named "mapmodels". The same thing goes for textures. This way, you can simply extract the .zip into your AC folder, and you're good to go.
Note: As .zip is a widely available/useable format, please ensure to release them in this zip format, rather than rar or tarball, etc. Also, some operating systems are case sensitive, so make sure that all file names are in lower case (including the extension) to avoid problems.
The correct format for releasing maps is listed below.
Structure and content of a map package
When zipping the file, zip the 'packages' folder.
packages(At this point, your package will vary depending on content.)
maps- Maps folder
- .cgz - Your map file.
- .cfg - Your maps config file (if you have one).
textures- If you have custom textures, this is the correct place to put them.
- textures subfolder - Be sure to create a subfolder in the textures folder with the name of your choosing on it, most people use their nickname.
- Custom textures (or more subfolders, then textures, this is up to you) - At this point you can arrange them how you want.
skymaps- If you are using a custom skybox, this is where they are placed.
- skymaps subfolder - Be sure to create a subfolder in the skymaps folder. If it is your skymap, create a folder with your name on it. If it was made by someone else, create a folder with their name. Make sure to give credit using a readme file.
mapmodels- Mapmodels go inside here, be sure to create a subfolder in this folder for your models.
- mapmodels subfolder - A folder with the name of your choosing on it, most people use their nickname.
Any README/licenses you want to package with the map are at your discretion. Some put it in the first directory (though this is the least desirable) while others put it in 'maps' or create a new folder, such as 'readmes' or 'licenses'. Texture or model licenses should stay in the folder they came in.